Friday, March 18, 2011

Sucks to be a sap.

Ugh. So, the girls who lived at the house are now homeless.
One of them came in yesterday and was horrified at her situation- she'd left a really abusive relationship with her mother, flailed about for several weeks trying to get work, and is now without a place. She was so sad... and she  asked if she could store her stuff at the house because she's lost everything else at this point and her 1/2 car load of stuff is all she's got anymore. I'm game, I said, and pointed out we have a bed in the attic. She may take us up on it, but she's got a transitional home in mind that will help her get work (which is all the girl needs. She's a very functional human being)
The other of the two was at the house today. Borrowing a marker and using cardboard. So she could write a sign and start begging. Yes, almost certainly a calculated move. Still hurts. BUT I CAN"T HELP HER. I can't, I can't, I can't. She just got her tax return, she had a job up until a week ago (which she lost because she's LAZY and CRAZY), and she's terrible to live with. She trashes the kitchen daily, was 4 months behind on rent when she left (and what was paid for her rent was by her girlfriend, then after that, her next girlfriend. Girl never paid her own, didn't have a job for all the months she was at the house and didn't hardly try without the threat of eviction) and....
The house is at capacity. Like, if my friend comes back up from S. America, he can crash the bed in the attic, but probably not as a permanent thing. And I'd far and away rather he be in the house than her.
And the girl has the sweetest dog. She doesn't feed or water the dog, and leaves it stuck in the other girl's car for long periods of time because she cares in the empirical sense, but not enough to make things better for the poor dog. She HAS dog food- a lot of it 'cause her folks bought her a gift card to petco to buy some. She just won't feed Ember. Sure, the dog used to be fat, but that was before a year of neglect.

Auuuuugh. And I'll just turn her out. I'll do it- I'm not strong enough, or irresponsible enough, to live with her again. If she came back, two actual rent payers would leave, and the kitchen would explode daily and I'd have to live with her again. We'd be up to 3 1/2 dogs, two of whom don't get along, and I'd be sinking everything to help a user. I feel so conflicted and bad-person-ly I can hardly look at her.
It just...I know the sign thing was a trope. I do. But it very nearly worked. Because I'm a sap.

1 comment:

  1. I believe in you. I think the way you help people is very noble, but you're right. Sometimes you have to draw a line. And then not cross it, no matter what the trope, or how bad the need, because you can never tell if it's just a story, and even if it's not, giving in again will only encourage another return with another story.

    ReplyDelete