Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday philosophy...is a great idea I intend to pursue.

But first, a message from our sponsors:

(visualize a woman walking in a sunny park. There are kids in the background and she is holding a book. Upon zoom-in, you see Wheelock's Latin) Voice over cuts in:
"Do you have too much fun in your life? Do you feel as if your blood pressure is simply too low, and you might actually have plans this Friday night? If so, ask your doctor about an introductory latin course. You can learn a variety of useful remedies to the situation just described, from pulling your hair out over the Passive Periphrastic, to trying desperately to find a way to describe and understand future perfect passive participles and how to decline them. You too can join hundreds of people all over the country who find themselves wondering how they are ever going to translate 75 lines in only two days, pacing their room until a rut forms in the floor. A life doesn't have to cripple you- talk to your doctor today, and find out what Wheelock can do for you."
Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

this week is just an introduction, really. I'm going to mimic the format of my philosophy class, with a 10 segment means of describing my own philosophy, as I try to iron out exactly what it is. These ten sections are:
Reality- what exactly IS real?
Bodies- the role of the physical world, particularly in relationship to a supernatural one
Personality- what makes people act the way they do. I've thus far avoided doing any papers or tests on this, so I may end up skipping the section, as I have difficulty understanding it.
Knowledge- what is knowledge? How do we KNOW anything?
Freedom- free will or determinism?
Morals/Morality/Virtue- what is right? why pursue good things?
Society- social contract? source of all stress and pain? natural result of being pack animals?
Religion- is it important? how so? why?
Immortality- more like a subsection of religion, but important
Fulfillment- what is the point of human existence? how do we fulfill our purpose, if we have one? If we don't, what does that mean?
My influences will be fairly varied, as I've had a philosophy heavy year and can, off the top of my head, tell you the input of about ten different thinkers on these questions. Hence the need to do some sorting. I will ponder the question of reality for the coming week, and we'll see how this goes.

I'm doing this because I tend to be able to straighten out my thoughts when I type them, and I also could use feedback. If you think I am likely misguided in this attempt at understanding my own existence via books and logic, you aren't alone. But, maybe avoid Fridays on the blog if it bothers you too much. And I really, really want feedback. Or I'd just be writing it in a diary like any other teenage girl.
Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment