The harder I've been trying to get myself to do some schoolwork, the less I care. I am currently a day late on a paper I still need to write, I got a 71% on the last latin test, (which is terrible) and if I don't get it together soon, I'll once again have to admit that I can't follow anything through to completion.
At least my yard is pretty- it is coming together nicely, and every even mildly sunny day finds me out there. Split out a bunch of irises this weekend with Carmen and they are holding up pretty well- I've only found signs of dying on about 2 of the transplants, and those are mild. I found these purple flowers that grow like weeds and look like grass with flowers that I want to put in the beds along the inside of the fence. They'll be low maintenance and high color and they are wonderful. And my rhubarb! My goodness you can almost SEE it growing it's doing so well. Seriously, I'm going to take pictures of it regularly if it keeps this up just to PROVE that a plant can grow that fast.
In other news...
Took the ASVAB yesterday. It was harder than I remembered- I had a good bit of trouble on the science parts. Even so... (drumroll please!) I got a 99. Out of 99. What WHAT. So, um... yeah. Military it is. I know, logically, this is my best decision since going back to school. Perhaps better than school- at least in the military THEY pay ME, and I can gain transferrable skills. And health care, and housing allowance, and job security, and the likelihood of a really enjoyable job. And, I know- "don't trap yourself into thinking it is the only option" (says everyone who cares about me) but it feels kinda like it. What else is available? A desk job like my moms that'll pay me 40k a year to start and suck my soul out through my toenails? Custodial, which is more enjoyable than most soul-sucking options but can never offer that feeling of real accomplishment? How about some variety of paper pusher? Or six figure debt for grad school and no more options than are currently available to me?
And I'd get to do language for a living. I mean, PERFECT FRICKIN SCORE on the ASVAB. It seems a shame not to shoot for linguist after that. And linguist training takes place in sunny (ha) Monterey, California, which is a place I have this almost absurd affinity for. I'm going to go all Schliemann/Iliad on that place, walking around using Cannery Row for a guide and being upset that the town I know so well hasn't existed for 50 years. It'll be half insane and fully Brittany.
But you can't blame a girl for being scared of the future. It just feels....like a huge commitment. Which it is. I'm selling the next four years to an unreliable government. "Those who would give up freedom for security deserve neither" Ben Franklin once said, and I'm well aware that he wasn't talking about joining the military, but it feels like a low blow.
You make a convincing argument... but... sigh. What happened to the awesome options the career center once fed you?
ReplyDelete-Carmen
Good luck with every thing. I know those last semesters are the toughest. You'll make it through. Which branch of the military are you thinking of joining?
ReplyDelete