Monday, September 6, 2010

Whoo.

Okay, kinda want to delete that last post 'cause it was pretty angry. Just read it again for the first time since, oh, May. But, intellectual honesty wins the day. I was mad, and I'm not glazing over it for the fun of a blog no one sees.

Yay for school! I have, this summer, enjoyed a helluva lot of freedom. It makes getting back under the yoke kinda hectic, and I'd be lying if I came home from class the first day and was all "YAY THIS TERM WILL BE SPIFFY!" No. I came home, stared at the wall, made some doomsday prophecies about this term actually, realistically, killing me. Killing me dead. Lots of ranting about my two favorite teachers being shafted for this new classics professor, too. First full time prof in the classics program hired in FORTY YEARS and they do it just in time to mess up a perfectly oriented 18 credit term for me.

I must say, it is a damn good thing I like the guy. I've got him for two classes straight early in the morning. I would be a total traitor if I didn't include my rant about them "not renewing the contract" of my pretty much favorite teacher ever, then taking the light of Fr. Hartin's day and giving it to the new guy so he could have a full schedule his first term..

Then, Friday, day two of super 18credit doom, I realized /wait. I can handle this. / Yep. The content of the classes is enough to carry me and I am thrilled. I am taking, honest to goodness, the coolest courseload ever. It will still, in all reality, kill me. Kill me dead. But such a happy death I wish on all! Latin, Greek, "Intro to Latin Christendom", "Athens in the 5th C BCE" and "Greek Gods and Heroes". And Advanced Speech. Because I truly do just like pain.

I've been wanting to take speech 321 for a while. Good teacher, and I hope that it will do more for my defunct social skills than all those papers. I'm the only student in the class who isn't a comm or business major. Or legal drinking age. But, you know, s'all good.

Why do I mention drinking? 'cause I'm pretty sure my introduction to whiskey last night has a lot to do with why I'm awake right now, after a scant 4 hours of sleep. I did well in that field- 3 shots and all I did was read a book to Aubrey again and again. Apparently, 2 year olds can tell when you are a sucker and take advantage. Who'da thunk? Anyway, she and I had fun. It was a nursery rhyme book, so I sang a bit and she pointed out the pigs and we oinked, the cows and we moo-d, etc. The only questionable thing I taught her is that "cat eats mouse" whenever a picture of a mouse showed up in the book.

It was fun. Aside from the moral question of hanging out with a 2 year old while drunk, of course. She loved it. Then Ben noticed and went to play with her with blocks, while her mom and I went to the next natural course of action (apparently) while slightly intoxicated- cooking. Amazing dinner. Still on the stove, if I am correct in that. I may go eat some now...

No comments:

Post a Comment